Movember may be over and men might be shaving their moustaches, but that doesn’t mean the importance of prostate health and awareness should be forgotten.
I’m talking to you men! You must take care of this walnut size gland as it is an important part of your reproductive system. The prostate sits just below the bladder and circles the urethra. This is why men with an enlarged prostate tend to visit the washroom more frequently, especially at night!
It has 2 functions:
- Helps to control the flow of urine
- Adds acidic fluid to the semen
Prostate cancer is one of the leading cancers among men. It is extremely important to protect the health of your walnut!
Some easy ways to help your prostate are:
- Eat foods that contain zinc – crimini mushrooms, spinach, beef (grass-fed), lamb, asparagus and pumpkin seeds. Zinc helps to prevent prostate inflammation, reduce prostate cancer and Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia.
- Antioxidants – help to prevent damage from free radicals and reduce cancer prevalence. Eat colourful fruits and veggies like blueberries, peppers, eggplant, strawberries and blackberries.
- Beta-carotene – helps to prevent an enlarged prostate. Makes veggies like carrots, squash and sweet potatoes orange.
- Eat your tomatoes – tomatoes contain lycopene, a phytonutrient that gives food its red colour. Helps to prevent and fight cancer, especially prostate cancer.
- Kegel – Yes this is not just something women should do. Kegeling helps to strengthen the prostate gland. Do this my squeezing the muscles used to stop the flow of urine.
- Helpful Herbs for those with an enlarged prostate
- Saw Palmetto – helps to relax the tissues surrounding the prostate.
- Pygeum – help with night-time urination for men with an enlarged prostate
Try these tips and don’t forget to get your prostate exam!