Natural beauty and tips on how to glow from the inside out – written in collaboration with Shannon Kadlovski of BareNaked Nutrition.
Billions of dollars are spent each year on beauty and personal hygiene products – many of which are filled with harsh chemicals. Save some money and save your health by allowing your natural beauty to shine through! Eating the right foods is essential for healthy, beautiful hair, skin, and nails. In addition, making your own beauty care products, using whole foods and natural ingredients is super simple and much better for your health (and your bank account). So, ditch the harmful chemicals and embrace NATURAL beauty!
6 Foods for Healthy Hair, Skin, and Nails
- Avocado – Very hydrating for the skin as it contains biotin, vitamin E and essential fatty acids, which prevent dry skin as well as brittle hair and nails. Healthy fats support shinny hair and glowing skin, while vitamin E protects against free radical damage and premature aging.
- Salmon – Contains astaxanthin, which improves skin elasticity and helps to prevent fine lines and wrinkles. It is a good source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids, which help repair cells, improve hair health and promote smooth, young skin. It also helps to rejuvenate skin cells.
- Water – Hydration is essential for healthy skin as it assists the body in detoxification and regulates oil production. Drink roughly 8 glasses of clean, filtered water each day.
- Papaya – Contains vitamin C, which is essential for the production of collagen. Collagen promotes skin elasticity and prevents the appearance of wrinkles.
- Pumpkin Seeds – Good source of zinc, which is important for wound healing. It promotes healing of acne scars, helps prevent the appearance of stretch marks, and support growth of skin cells. Zinc also helps improve and control acne by controlling oil production.
- Swiss chard – Swiss chard is a superfood that contains biotin, vitamin A, K, and C, as well as B vitamins, which protect against free radical damage and premature aging. They also help to promote healthy skin and hair.
Our skin is our largest organ and anything that is applied to the skin gets absorbed directly into the body. Therefore, skin care products should be healthy enough to eat! Conventional beauty products contain harmful chemicals, which can cause skin irritation, clogged pores, premature aging, organ damage, and hormone disruption. Whenever possible, choose to go au natural!
Homemade Beauty Care Recipes
Coconut milk face cleanser
½ cup of cucumber juice
1 cup coconut milk
1 tbsp honey
Couple drops of tea tree oil
Combine all ingredients. Moisten face and apply cleanser with a cotton ball. Rinse and pat dry.
Apple cider vinegar hair cleanser
½ cup apple cider vinegar
1 quart water
Spray onto hair after showering. Leave in for a few minutes and rinse out.
1 tbsp. plain Greek yogurt
2 tsp honey
Evenly apply to skin. Leave on for 10 minutes and rinse off.
- Pure + Simple
- Green Beaver
- Dr. Mist
Be sure to visit www.shannonkadlovski.com for more nutrition information and delicious recipes.