Are you irritable in the morning? Does your stomach grumble around 9 o’clock? Does your energy level crash mid-morning? Are you eating BREAKFAST?
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! It impacts your energy levels, mood, and metabolism for the rest of the day. The word breakfast literally means to “break the fast”. After eight hours of sleep your body goes into a hibernation state and conserves energy. Consuming breakfast within 30 minutes of waking provides a wakeup call for your metabolism and energy systems. Breakfast pushes your body out of storage mode and promotes the burning of food for energy. When we skip breakfast our body stays in storage mode which promotes low energy levels and fat gain.
You say you have no time for breakfast try a smoothie, fruit and Greek yogurt, or prepare some quinoa the night before. Make time for breakfast – it will improve your entire day!
5 Foods to Start Your Day
- Lemon – lemon water stimulates your liver and increases your digestive fire. Simply squeeze half of a fresh lemon into a glass of room temperature or warm water every morning before breakfast. Lemon water promotes healthy digestion and stimulates metabolism.
- Oats – steel cut oats are a great source of fibre, complex carbohydrates, protein and a number of vitamins and minerals. Help stabilize blood sugar levels, support energy metabolism, and keep you satisfied for a longer period of time. Oats have also been shown to reduce cholesterol and control weight. Can be prepared the night before to safe time in the morning.
- Eggs – whether they are scrambled, poached, or sunny side up eggs are loaded with protein, choline, healthy fat, vitamin D, and selenium. Protein helps stabilize blood sugar and promotes energy production, while choline and other nutrients boost brain function and support the nervous and cardiovascular systems.
- Fruit – natural sources of fibre and enzymes which support digestion. The sugar in fruit (fructose) is easier to breakdown and does not spike insulin levels the same as refined sugar. Great in smoothies or on top of oatmeal, quinoa or Greek yogurt.
- Maca – Commonly found in powdered form, this root from Peru has been used for thousands of years to increase stamina and energy. Maca is a great substitute for coffee in the morning as it boosts energy levels while supporting the body. Maca is also considered a superfood as it contains high levels of vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and essential amino acids. Maca also helps regulate hormones and improve mood. Natural nutty flavour, maca can be added to smoothies, herbal teas, or even hot breakfasts.
Once you experience the effects of a great breakfast, you’ll never go without again!