People are constantly searching for anti-aging tricks, quick fixes, and the fountain of youth. We obsess and stress about fine lines and wrinkles instead of relaxing and enjoying life. Graceful aging isn’t complicated; it is simply about eating healthy and reducing stress levels. Stop searching for the magic secret and try these graceful aging tips today!
10 Graceful Aging Tips
- Exercise – the saying use it or lose holds true when it comes to muscles and the brain. Resistance exercise helps build lean, toned muscles reducing development of osteoporosis and injury from accidents. It is just as important to exercise your brain. Perform memory and logical thinking games. Challenging your brain keeps neurological pathways open and prevents slow, sluggish thinking.
- Sooth your soul – performing activities that you love and taking time for yourself feeds your soul. Set time aside for yourself to listen to music, read a good book, or meditate…do anything that’s just for you. Love yourself and your body will love you back!
- Reduce stress – stress strains all systems of the body. It reduces digestion, causes inflammation, and can negatively impact mood and energy levels. Take 10 deep breaths everyday to help reduce stress.
- Sleep – a restful night’s sleep reduces puffiness and leaves you looking rested and glowing. Obtaining adequate sleep (8 hours) is essential for the body’s renewal and repair processes, reducing stress levels, increasing energy and promoting clearer thinking. Sleep deprivation results in feelings of depression, lack of energy, and agitation. Sleep in a completely dark room away from electronics!
- Antioxidants – oxidative damage is one of the biggest contributors to premature aging. Antioxidants help combat premature aging by protecting the body against free radicals and oxidative damage. Include sources of vitamin A, C, E, zinc, and selenium in your diet. Enjoy Brazil nuts, sunflower seeds, spinach, asparagus, citrus fruits, carrots, and squash.
- Healthy fats – consuming omega-3 fatty acids protect the body against high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and stroke while supporting nervous system function and cognitive pathways. Include eggs, fish, nuts/seeds, and avocados in your diet.
- Reduce inflammation – inflammation is one of the body’s natural defence systems against foreign invaders and stress, but prolonged inflammation negatively impacts the body and promotes premature aging. Chronic inflammation can result from prolonged periods of stress and consumption of food allergies/sensitivities. Staying in a state of inflammation accelerates the aging process. Reduce stress and eliminate food allergies to decrease inflammation.
- Protein – found in chicken, turkey, fish, beans, and lentils; protein helps build muscles and tissues. Adequate protein promotes firm skin and toned bodies.
- Stay Hydrated – water makes up 80% of our skin and is essential for a supple, smooth and glowing complexion. Drinking adequate amounts of water (2-3 L) keeps your skin hydrated and prevents dehydration of your cells. Proper hydration also promotes removal of toxins. Start your day with a glass of lemon water to further promote cleansing of toxins.
- Avoid refined sugar – sugar consumption can accelerate the aging process. Sugar molecules promote the breakdown of collagen in the skin. Collagen is essential for skin elasticity – preventing wrinkles and sagging. Collagen keeps your skin looking young!