Happy Sunday! Hope everyone had an amazing weekend. The spring weather is nearly upon us, I can feel it! Sunday is one of my favourite days! Wake up late, lounge in your pjs and indulge in brunch. What could be … Continue reading
The other day I gave a talk on the top 10 items I suggest we all ditch from our kitchen. Most of these products are loaded with sugar, artificial flavour/colours, and preservatives, yet they are in almost everyone’s kitchen or pantry!
Why do we continuously buy products that have been proven to cause nothing but health issues? Advertising, taste, convenance, and price! It’s time we break free from these pressures and give our kitchen a healthy overhaul!
Make a vow today and ditch these products for good! Your body will thank you!
1. Store bought salad dressing: loaded with sodium and sugar which can lead to high blood pressure, and spikes in blood sugar. Contain large number of preservative along with artificial sweeteners and flavours.
Replace with homemade salad dressing – simply combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar or lemon juice with salt, pepper, and Dijon mustard.
2. Pop: contains high levels of sugar and phosphorus. Carbonated beverages are also very dehydrating to the body, requiring extra consumption of water.
Replace with sparkling water combined with lemon or lime juice and some berries.
3. White Pasta: highly refined and striped of all nutrients during the refining process. Void of fiber, vitamin B and fatty acids naturally found in whole grains. Contain high amounts of sugar and synthetic nutrients.
Replace with whole wheat, quinoa, brown rice, kamut or spelt pasta. For grain free option use spaghetti squash or zucchini.
4. White Sugar: highly refined and striped of nutrients and full of empty calories which can lead to weight gain. Sugar consumption leads to spikes in blood sugar followed by a sugar crash. Linked to increased food cravings, decreased energy, irritability and decreased immunity.
*looked for high fructose corn syrup, dextrose, glucose, malt syrup, maltodextrin and any word ending in ‘ose’.
Artificial Sweeteners:lab manufactured product containing a number of chemicals and cancer causing agents. Hard to digest as the ingredients are unrecognized by the body. Artificial sweeteners cause the most government health complaints.
Replace with coconut sugar, sucanat sugar, real maple syrup, raw honey, dates, or stevia
5. Margarine: highly processed, lab manufactured, hydrogenated product made from GMO soybean oil. Considered the plastic of the food industry.
Replace with organic butter in moderation or coconut oil.
6. Juice: essentially sugar water, juice is loaded with refined sugar causing spikes in blood sugar levels. Full of empty calories as the pasteurization process kills all enzymes and nutrients naturally found in fruit.
Replace with water (can add fruit slices), tea, homemade juice, or by simply eating fruit.
7. Stir-fry Sauces/Marinades: full of additives, artificial flavor and colour, sodium and MSG. Food colouring, preservatives and additives can be linked to behavioural issues, decreased energy, headaches, allergies, and irritability.
Replace with homemade sauces or marinades. Use tamari (gluten-free soy sauce), lemon, balsamic, herbs, chili peppers, garlic and ginger. Teriyaki sauce – ¼ cup tamari, 1 cup water, 1-2 Tbsp. fresh grated ginger, 1 tbsp. organic sucanat sugar (heat in a sauce pan, once bubbling combine 2 Tbsp. corn starch with ¼ cup water in a measuring cup and whisk into bubbling tamari mixture until thickened).
8. Cereal/Cereal or Granola Bars: made from highly refined grains and loaded with sugar, preservatives and very little whole foods.
Replace with oats, quinoa, homemade trail mix or granola bars.
9. Microwave Popcorn: chemicals found in the lining of the bag, including cancer causing carcinogens. Also contains fake butter, artificial flavours and GMO corn.
Replace with air or stove popped made with organic non-GMO corn and organic butter or coconut oil.
10. Canned foods: contains high levels of sodium, sugar, additives and preservatives. BPA (hormone disrupter) can be found in the lining of cans and cause a number of health problems. 1 in 10 cans contain up to 200x more BPA than deemed safely the government.
Replace with BPA free cans, soup in glass containers, or fresh beans and vegetables.
Preservatives – nitrate, sulphite, sodium benzoate, butylated
Additives – MSG (monosodium glutamate), caramel colour, tartrazine
Sugar – High fructose corn syrup, dextrose, glucose, malt syrup, maltodextrin
Food colouring – anything with a colour followed by a number (red #5, yellow #6)