Valentine’s Chocolate Cupcakes
When you hear the words valentine’s day most people think of chocolate. Yes, we think of love but mostly we think of receiving that heart shaped box filled with assorted chocolates, don’t lie. Why not switch things up this year and surprise your valentine with homemade chocolate cupcakes. Nothing says LOVE more than something made from the heart.
Everyone can run to the store and buy the generic box of chocolates, but how special would it be to know that the one you love slaved in the kitchen making a special chocolate treat just for you.
These delicious gluten-free and vegan chocolate cupcakes are the perfect after dinner treat and they won’t have you feeling bloated and weighed down for your after dessert adventures.
3/4 cup almond milk
2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
2 cups all purpose gluten-free flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup + 2 Tbsp. coconut oil, room temperature
1 cup raw sugar
2/3 cup water
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chip
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine almond milk and vinegar in a measuring cup. Let stand for 5 minutes to curdle.
- Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set to the side.
- Combine water and cocoa powder in a small sauce pot and warm over low heat until cocoa powder melts and everything combines.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together coconut oil and sugar using an electric mixer. Add chocolate mixture and beat to combine.
- Add half flour mixture to the chocolate mixture and beat to combine. Add almond milk mixture along with vanilla extract and beat to combine.
- Add remaining flour and fold in with a spatula. Add in chocolate chips and divide batter into a lined cupcake pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes and let cool completely.
1/2 cup vegan butter
1/4 cup vegan shortening
2 Tbsp. almond milk
2 tsp vanilla
3-4 cups powdered sugar
- In a large mixing bowl cream together vegan butter and shortening with an electric mixer. Add vanilla and almond milk and continue to beat.
- Gradually add 1/2 cup powdered sugar at a time, beating between each addition.
Generously swirl icing on top of cooled cupcakes and top with festive sprinkles. These chocolate beauties are sure to impress.